Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Weekly letter Aug - 12 - 09 (From DAD)

Elder Owen, or Scott as we call you

I hope you have had a good week. It has been the same go, go, go around here. I guess you heard the news about Ang and Ryan, We are all happy for them.

We went to dinner last night (everyone) as an engagement dinner for them. It was nice and everyone had a good time.

So how is the work going? I hope you have found a few more people to teach. Mom got an email for a lady whos so is in the Odgen Mission and I thought Id send you a part of it about Elder Perrys visit.

So, Sunday was pretty much a crazy day. You'll never guess who we ran into
at church. None other than Elder L. Tom Perry and his cheesy grin :). He was
in one of our wards for a mission president he knew who just had finished
there mission. So when we saw him, we first talked to a member of the
Seventy, W. Craig Zwick, I think, anyways Elder Perry came up to us and
shook both of our hands and asked us where we were from. Apparently he had
the gift of discernment and knew I had been out longer because he turned to
me and started asking me all kinds of questions with his hand on my shoulder
the whole time! AGHHH!!! I was so scared lol.

He asked me how many lessons we had set up this week in members homes. I
started to say "Well.... about... ugh...." and he gave me a little love slap
on the back of my head and poked me in the chest and said "Elder Norton, no
'abouts', that's why you have that planner so you can know exactly what you
have set up." Then I told him we had 4 set up for the week.

He then responded and said, "Well that isn't enough! You should be teaching
20 lessons a week here. Get a hold of your ward mission leader and have him
set up 16 lessons today for the rest of the week. I don't care if you're
teaching recent converts, less actives, part members, or non members, you're
the teachers, and the members are the finders! When you get those lessons
send me an email tonight telling me how many you have." He told us to have
our ward mission leader send the email when we told him we can't except for
Tuesday's. I was shaking when I pulled out my planner to write down his
email address. I think he told us he appreciated our work or something like
that. We had to speak in another ward right after and I was still shaking
from talking to Elder Perry a half hour later haha.

Well we got a hold of all our ward mission leaders and had 18 set up at the
end of the day. We had Bro Barton email him (when we asked our ward mission
leaders in stake correlation he said he would just so he could say he has
emailed an apostle lol). So we have a busy week set up. I wish I had used
this on people before, "Elder Perry said you need to set us up x many
lessons before tonight is over and email him and report it" haha. People
listen to you when you tell them that haha.

So, we have a lot of lessons set up for the week. Mainly less actives but we
have a few part member families we will teach. So that's pretty exciting.

So, if things are a bit slow, you might want to pass this on to your mission leaders and put them to work for you. Do you have a mission leader for each ward? Or one per Stake? How do you do it?

How did you visits go with Elder Christenson last week?

How did things work out with Dennis? I hope you were able to fine him and spend some time with him.

Im glad your new comp is working out. That makes all the diff in the worked when you’re both getting along and on the same page. Its all good exp for life.

Have you sent the CD yet? It will be fun to see some more pics.

Mom is on her way to Utah at this time for a few days and then will be back up again next month for wedding showers I know she would invite you, but I hear your busy. Sorry.

Well I have a meeting to go to so, gottorun. Get your Mission Leader on the ball and get to it. Let me know next week how many they set up for you guys.

Love you, Keep up the good work!  Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment